History of West Sacramento
Unlike the city across the river, the West Sacramento area remained rural and dedicated to agriculture. In the late 1870's, growing hops proved to be an agricultural commodity. The Patwin, Chinese, and Japanese were to become the main source of labor for picking this crop.
By 1880 there were 1,555 residents living in Washington township. In 1914, this township was renamed Broderick. Between 1900 and 1920 the population of what is now the city of West Sacramento was nearly 2,638 inhabitants. Three distinct communities of cultural diversity began emerging during this era; Broderick, Riverbank (later becoming Bryte), and West Sacramento. Today, over 31,000 live in this community.
BroderickImmigration from the America's mid-west and east, from England, Germany, other northern Europeans, Chinese, and some of the original town plat owners of Washington were the primary inhabitants of Broderick from the 1920's,
Riverbank/BryteIn the same years this community was mostly comprised of Europeans [Italians, Portuguese, and Russians], and Asians [Japanese].
West SacramentoThis area was developed as a planned community in 1913 by the West Sacramento Land Company.